Pest Awareness Online Training Course
Our Pest Awareness online training course is ideal for learners who need a basic level of understanding about how animals and insects can be hazardous to food safety.
Many pests, such as mice, flies, cockroaches etc. pose a health risk by spreading diseases like Salmonella. This is particularly important where food is present, as food must be free of any kind of contamination, which ultimately could become a danger to consumers.
This course has been designed to give a basic level of understanding about how insects and some animals can become food safety hazards, especially important in food premises.
It covers how to identify signs of pest infestation, how pests can cause illness by contamination, ways to prevent pest entry and what to do should they become a problem in the workplace.
Who is this course for?
This Pest Awareness course is for anyone who works with, handles or sells food.
The aim of this course is to give you a basic level of understanding about how insects and some animals can become unwanted pests and hazardous to food safety. It covers how to identify signs of pest infestation, ways to prevent pest entry and what to do should they become a problem in the workplace.
This is particularly important where food is present, as food must be free of any kind of contamination, which ultimately could become a danger to consumers.
This course covers the following topics:
- Consequences of pest infestation
- Pests as food safety hazards
- HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Common pests
- Signs of infestation
- Detection devices
- Preventing pest infestation
- Pest control
- Safe storage of pesticides
- Food storage and rotation - FIFO
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- explain the consequences of pest infestation
- explain what the EU Regulations requires of food producers
- explain what HACCP is and its role as part of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Identify which insects and animals are common food safety hazards
- explain the dangers posed by pests
- identify the damage caused by pests
- identify the presence of pests
- explain ways in which pest infestation can be prevented
- explain how to store pesticides safely
- demonstrate how to store food safely
- List ways in which pests can be controlled
- name the Regulations that apply to the use of chemicals and pesticides
- explain the importance of stock rotation
- explain the meaning of ‘FIFO’
The average time required to complete this course is approximately 30 minutes. However, it is designed to go at the pace of the learner and more time may be taken if necessary.
The course has a short quiz at the end of the learning. The formal online assessment consists of 15 multiple-choice questions to be successful, candidates must achieve a 80% pass mark (12 or more) to obtain the certificate.
On successful completion of the Pest Awareness course assessment, the candidate will be able to print/save the certificate. In additions to this, an email is sent to the candidate containing a link to the certificate. This is the simplest, most convenient way to achieve compliance. Also, a QR code has been added to the certificate which can be scanned by a smartphone to establish the certificate’s validity.