PUWER Training Course
This PUWER Training course will explain how to maintain a level of safety while using work equipment and understand the responsibilities under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) Regulations. Businesses and organisations can use the regulations as guidelines to help their employees stay safe when using equipment at the workplace.
Employees must be able to identify equipment that is needed for the right task, have the confidence to inspect properly and to put in place suitalble health and safety measures.
NOTE: Not all work equipment will be subjected to the legislation as they could fall under LOLER, which would require LOLER Training instead.
- Work towards compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation
- Train online at your own pace with a full audio voiceover
- Assured by RoSPA & Accredited by CPD
- Certificate on successful completion
- Course duration: 35 minutes
- Unlimited resits at no cost
Who is this Online PUWER Training for?
If a job role requires you to use equipment at work, then being familiar with what's covered under PUWER is much needed. If you look after equipment or employ those that do then looking after their health and safety is legally required by law.
Anywhere that equipment and machinery are being used such factories, offices, shops, construction sites to name a few, would need their staff trained to become aware of the hazards and how they could be managed.
PUWER Training Certification
Our entire library of training courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as adhering to the universally recognised Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This training course and it's content has also been assured by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.
Upon passing the online assessment you will have the options to both print and download your PUWER Training Certificate in PDF format. In addition to this an automated email will also be sent to your chosen email address containing a link to your certificate ensuring you always have access to a copy.
Furthermore, a QR code is displayed on each certificate which when scanned by a smartphone links to our certification database. This allows employers, auditors and local authority inspectors, for example, to establish a certificates validity instantly and at any time.
Course Screenshots (click to view images)
The aim of this course is to provide knowledge on the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. If your job role involves working with tools or machinery, it is important that you are aware of the hazards and risks before you undertake any operation.
On completion of this PUWER course, you should be able to:
- Define what PUWER stands for
- Identify the definition of a hazard
- Identify the definition of a risk
- Name some typical hazards associated with tools
- List what is not classed as work equipment
- Identify what pneumatic and fuel-powered tools are
- Identify what responsibilities employees have
- List the equipment covered by PUWER
- Identify who is responsible for equipment
- List some other legislations alongside PUWER
- Identify what to look for when purchasing new equipment
- List some dangers of modern machinery
- Identify why the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 is important
- Identify what a risk assessment is
- List the 5 steps to conducting a risk assessment
- Identify why regular inspection and maintenance of equipment is important
- List some Dos and Don’ts when it comes to equipment maintenance
- Name some responsibilities of workers when using work tools
- Identify why and when employers should inspect equipment
- Identify why PPE (personal protective equipment) is used
Training Course Content
This course is made up of the following modules:
An Introduction to PUWER
This section introduces the learner to the course and how PUWER covers everything in which the employer/owner has responsibly for and all of which can cause issues or injuries if not fit for purpose, serviced, or if used by unsuitably trained staff, etc.
Module 1 - Equipment and Tools Covered by PUWER
This section of the course concentrates on the variety of work equipment covered by PUWER; it also looks at what is NOT covered by PUWER by not being classed as work equipment.
Module 2 - Duties and Responsibilities
This section of the course covers the duties and responsibilities to ensure the safety of work equipment. It is the employer's duty and responsibility to ensure that the equipment they provide for the workplace is in line with PUWER. However, there are some different scenarios where these duties and responsibilities will adapt. This could include the self-employed and equipment providers.
This module also looks at how the employee also holds specific duties when using work equipment.
Module 3 - Risk Assessments and Equipment Maintenance
This final section looks at the 5 steps to a risk assessment and who should conduct them. It looks at Dos and Don’ts that should be remembered when undertaking equipment maintenance, and also how employer inspections are vital to ensure that equipment and tools are fit for use and will not cause hazard or risk to health.
On completion of the course lessons and training material an online assessment will automatically unlock. The assessment will contain 15 multiple-choice questions and a mark of 75% or above will be required to pass.
The assessment will be marked instantly and so you will know straight away if you have passed or not. If you don't pass first time there's no need to worry. Unlimited resits at absolutely no additional charge are available so you can retake the assessment again as many times as you need to.
Related Online Training Courses
View our current list of Health and Safety courses you can take online now.