Food Safety Certificate Level 1 in Retail
This online Food Safety Certificate Level 1 in Retail training course will give the learner practical working knowledge of working safely when handling and storing the food, ensuring the food is safe for the consumer.
Food handlers are a principle source of contamination, which can cause illness for the consumer. This basic food hygiene course introduces anyone who works with food in the retail industry to the importance of keeping food safe from contamination when handling or storing food.
High standards in food safety is critical, not only for the consumer, but for the business. Mistakes can be costly. Effective food safety is essential to protect the reputation and therefore the profits of any food retail business, and will enable any worker to understand how their actions can protect the food they sell.
Who is this Food Safety Level 1 in Retail course for?
This course has been designed for anyone who performs low risk tasks, such as selling wrapped or canned foods or low risk foods e.g: raw meat.
The aim of this Food Safety Certificate Level 1 in Retail course is to give those who work in the retail industry, a good practical working knowledge of how to work safely when handling and storing food in the work place to ensure food is safe for the consumer.
Food Safety Level 1 in Retail Course content
This online course covers the following topics:
- PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Effective hand washing
- Reporting illness
- Wound dressing
- Personal behaviours and responsibilities
- Working environments and equipment
- Food information for consumers
- Safe waste disposal
- Food Safety Hazards that may cause harm
- Definitions - contamination and cross-contamination
- The relevant procedures for working with and storing, food safely and hygienically
- Potential sazards caused by pests
- Symptoms of food-borne illness
- resulting from food poisoning
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- explain which personal protective equipment (PPE) to use and why
- explain the important of effectively washing hands
- recognise the symptoms of food-borne illness and food poisoning
- explain the importance of covering wounds
- explain legal responsibilities
- explain how to keep a work area and equipment hygienic
- list which illnesses to report
- explain what ‘contamination’ and ‘cross-contamination’ means
- identify potential hazards caused by pests
- identify unhygienic habits and behaviours
- explain the rules when working with cleaning chemicals
- name the 4 food safety hazards
- list the 14 food allergens
- explain how to cook and store food safely
- explain the Food information for Consumers Regulations
The average time required to complete the learning is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours, however the course is designed to go at the pace of the learner and can be completed in more time if needed.
The online assessment for the course consists of 20 multiple choice questions. In order to be successful, candidates must achieve a 75% pass mark to obtain the certificate.
Level 1 Food Safety in Retail Certification
On successful completion of the course assessment, the candidate will be able to print/save their Food Safety Certificate Level 1 in Retail. In addition to this, an email is sent to the candidate containing a link to the certificate.
This is the simplest, most convenient way to achieve compliance. Also, a QR code has been added to the certificate, which can be scanned by a smartphone to establish the certificate’s validity.
Related online training courses
View our current list of Food Hygiene Courses you can take online now.