Level 1 Food Safety Certificate in Catering
Our Level 1 Food Safety & Hygiene in Catering course is designed to give those working in the catering industry practical knowledge dealing with low risk or packaged food, knowing how to safely handle and store food for consumers.
In the hospitality industry there are many jobs which involve waiting on tables or serving foods, without being directly involved with food preparation. This level 1 course in catering is suitable for those dealing with low risk (uncooked) or ready wrapped foods. It also can be used for a first level training course with the intention of progressing onto level 2 and higher courses, or for those working directly under supervision.
All who work in the food industry must receive training and this is a great induction course. Your first step towards due diligence.
Who is this Level 1 Food Safety in Catering course for?
This course is ideal for those who serve food and drink to customers, or employees who handle low risk or packaged food. It has been designed for all who perform low risk tasks, such as preparing and clearing tables. It contains all the basic information needed by staff who work under direct supervision to understand food
safety in catering.
The aim of this online course is to give those who work in the catering industry, a good practical working knowledge of how to work safely when handling and storing food in the work place to ensure food is safe for the consumer.
Level 1 Food Safety & Hygiene in Catering Course content
This online course covers the following topics:
- PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Effective hand washing
- Illness reporting
- Symptoms of food poisoning
- Wound dressing
- Legal responsibilities
- Working environments and equipment
- Safe waste disposal
- Definitions - Contamination and Cross-contamination
- The Danger zone
- Stock rotation
- The Food Information Consumers Regulation (EU FIC)
- Safe cooking and storage rules
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- explain which personal protective equipment (PPE) to use and why
- wash your hands effectively
- recognise the symptoms of food-borne illness and food poisoning
- list which illnesses to report
- explain the importance of covering wounds
- explain legal responsibilities
- identify unhygienic habits and behaviours
- explain how to keep a work area and equipment hygienic
- explain the rules when working with cleaning chemicals
- name the 4 food safety hazards
- list the 14 food allergens
- explain what Contamination and Cross-contamination means
- explain what the Danger zone is
- explain how to cook and store food safely
- identify potential hazards caused by pests
The average time required to complete the learning is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. However the course is designed to go at the pace of the learner and can be completed in more time if needed.
The online assessment for the course consists of 20 multiple choice questions. In order to be successful, candidates must achieve a 75% pass mark (15 or above) to obtain the certificate.
Level 1 Food Safety & Hygiene in Catering Certification
On successful completion of the online course assessment, the candidate will be able to print/save their Level 1 Food Safety & Hygiene in Catering certificate. In addition to this, an email is sent to the candidate containing a link to the certificate.
This is the simplest, most convenient way to achieve compliance. Also, a QR code has
been added to the certificate, which can be scanned by a smartphone to establish the certificate’s validity.
Related online training courses
View our current list of Food Hygiene Courses you can take online now.