Display Screen Equipment (DSE) Awareness
Our Display Screen Equipment (DSE) awareness training course is for individuals who regularly use a screen or monitor for long periods of time. This course will help you to understand the health hazards and many other factors that accompany long use of DSE.
With the rapid rise in the use of Information Technology (IT), many of us today use some form of DSE (Display Screen Equipment), whether it is at work or at home. Display screens are normally used with desk-based computers, but they can also refer to other types of devices such as laptops and touch-screen tablets.
Working intensively with display screen equipment for long periods of time can cause significant health problems such as:
- eyestrain and visual fatigue
- problems with arms, hands and wrists
- back, shoulder and neck pain
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone who uses a display screen equipment regularly at home or at work.
This course has been designed to raise awareness of types of health hazards that can be associated with using DSE for long periods of time and looks at ways in which the risks to DSE users’ health and wellbeing can be minimised.
Our online DSE course covers the following:
- Health hazards associated with DSE
- Assessing risks to health
- Planning workstations
- The environment
- Avoiding eye strain
- Working with portable computers and appliances
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- explain the meaning of ‘DSE’
- list the different types of DSE
- list the potential health hazards associated with DSE
- name the main Regulations relevant to DSE and who they apply to
- explain what constitutes a ‘DSE user’
- explain what ‘ergonomics’ is and how it relates to DSE
- explain what needs to be assessed on a workstation to minimise hazards to health
- explain how to work comfortably and safely using DSE
- explain how to avoid eye strain
- explain how to reduce health hazards when working with portable computers
The average time required to complete the learning is approximately 30 minutes, however the course is designed to go at the pace of the learner and can be completed in more time if needed.
The online assessment for the course consists of 15 multiple choice questions. In order to be successful, candidates must achieve a 75% pass mark (12 or above) to obtain the certificate.
On successful completion of the online DSE training course assessment, the candidate will be able to print/save their certificate. In addition to this, an e.mail is sent to the candidate containing a link to the certificate. This is the simplest, most convenient way to achieve compliance. Also, a QR code has been added to the certificate, which can be scanned by a smartphone to establish the certificate’s validity.
This e-learning course only provides awareness education. Face to face training would be needed in addition in order to complete the all round skills and knowledge to be able to carry this forward practically in your organisation.